Cheap Flights

Nigerian Eagle Airlines

Nigerian Eagle Airlines no longer exists, as it is now operating as Air Nigeria. Flights can no longer be booked with Nigerian Eagle Airlines.


22 Nov 2013 Aero Contractors may commence operations under the name Nigerian Eagle, and become the new national carrier. The unveiling of the national carrier is expected to take place on Sunday the 24th of November 2013.


15 Oct 2009

Nigerian Eagle Airlines takes delivery of its first 2 new Embraer ERJ 190-200LRs (195s) registered 5N-VNH and 5N-VNI.

18 Sep 2009

Virgin Nigeria announces that it is changing its name to Nigerian Eagle Airlines, and that it is planning a private placement within the next 6 weeks.   The airline will also adopt new uniforms, symbols and colours - the Virgin Livery has been changed to a stylized eagle with the word Nigeria written a unique font. The new brand was unveiled to journalists by Captain Dapo Olumide, the CEO of Nigerian Eagle Airlines, at the presidential lounge of Lagos's Murtala Muhammed International Airport: "From today, the name of Virgin Nigeria Airways ceases after this presentation, you will see that we have created a brand. We intend to form an airline and create a brand at the same time. This is not done in the airline industry. This is a lot of work that had started in February and it is just been concluded. One of the first things we did in Virgin Nigeria was to restructure the airline to stabilise and to come up with a five-year-plan that would be sustainable. Today is the birth of a new airline. African aviation will only ever be developed by Africans."

The new branding was developed with the support of Interbrand of South Africa

Aug 2009

Virgin Nigeria signs a technical agreement with Ethiopian Airlines.

27 Jan 2009

Virgin Nigeria announces that it suspending flights between Lagos and London, and between Lagos & Johannesburg.

19 Aug 2008

Virgin Atlantic Airways announces that it reviewing whether it is appropriate that the Virgin brand should remain in use by Virgin Nigeria, and is "in talks to sell it's 49% stake in Virgin Nigeria". The issue seems to have arisen after Virgin Nigeria against its will had to move its local Nigerian operations to Terminal 2 on instruction by the Ministry of Transportation to Terminal 2. On 2 occassions Virgin Nigeria had refused the directive to relocate its local Nigerian operations to Terminal 2 (from the International terminal) citing a Memorandum of Mutual Understanding signed between with the previous (Olusegun Obasanjo) administration and itself.

28 Jun 2005

The inaugural flight of Virgin Nigeria is with an Airbus A340-300 from Lagos (LOS) to London Heathrow Airport.

28 Sep 2004

Virgin Atlantic Airways & the Nigerian government sign an agreement to create Virgin Nigeria Airways. Virgin Atlantic Airways paid $25m for a 49% stake, and Nigerian institutional investors own the remaining 51% of the company.



Captain Dapo Olumide, formerly managing director of Aero contractor, one of Nigeria's most successful airline, who who was recruited to save the dying Virgin Nigeria airline.


Kinfe Kahssaye, an Ethiopian from Ethiopian Airlines, the Nigerian Eagle Airline's new technical partner. The COO (chief operating officer) was formerly occupied by a seconded staff of Virgin Atlantic airline.

Base of Operations

Nigerian Eagle Airlines was based in Lagos at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (LOS).

Flight reviews

27 Aug 2007 Johannesburg - Lagos flight review (Virgin Nigeria, Economy Class):

10am - 10pm for stranded passengers at O.R Tambo.

"... l leave early to check in (avoid the 9am flight luggage battle) and to get a good seat with legroom. 7.30 am and there is a crowd already, l take my place quietly on the queue and l hear people whispering, it grew louder and l eventually heard that the 10am flight had been delayed till 10.30pm! There were many wild reasons given, l looked for a Virgin N staff and got a confirmation of the delay but was advised to check in ..."

"... 6pm, Dele gets off work, picks me up and drives me back to the airport. There is no sign of an impending flight so we began a fruitless search for any Virgin N staff, we found their office on the 3rd floor and it was empty and firmly shut ..."

"... an airport staff informs us that the airline had unloaded our bags at the arrival baggage claim and cancelled the flight! At the baggage claim there was confusion as passengers with tired kids milled around looking for their bags. I found mine and the lock had been broken. In all of this l did not hear a word of apology ..."

"... arrive at the airport at 6.30am to passenger info (no virgin N staff around) informing us that the flight has been delayed till 7pm ...." Virgin Nigeria Johannesburg to Lagos flight.

Sloppy Virgin Nigeria apology letter
This is the letter passengers recieved after almost two days of delays.